Log Cabin Quilt

Categories:

I haven't sewn or quilted since the mad rush last year to complete my grandmother's quilt and Jim's quilt in time for Christmas. This year I wanted to make our friend Robin a blanket to snuggle under and give it to her for the holidays.

I chose this log cabin design primarily because I had already learned how to strip piece log cabin blocks. Might as well use what you already know, right?

While at the local quilt store, I stood around looking at fabric, mainly batiks, for at least an hour. I knew that Robin would like the batik fabric, but what colors to pick? Would she like the design? Frustration set in and I gave up and left for the car telling the kind staff that I needed to go home to design what I was going to make so I knew how much fabric I had to buy. The excuse was partly true.

It was pouring rain outside, so I dashed to the car. Being a girl scout leader, I naturally drag a lot of things around in my car especially since I don't have to clear out the back seat for young passengers. After I got into the car, I realized that I had a big pad of graph paper left over from my Juniors working on their Puzzler badge. Of course, I had originally gotten the pad to graph and design quilts, so what a coincidence! I found a pen, and I began to sketch.

I had seen the green/blue flower pattern (which was also on sale) and fell in love with it. I hoped Robin would like it too. So, I decided that I wanted that for the backing and the border. Then, I figured I would do the diamond layout of the log cabin blocks, alternating the colors green, blue, and purple. I calculated a bunch of equations, but I'm not sure if they really meant anything except that I convinced myself that I wouldn't run out of fabric half way through the project. That would have been a nightmare because the batiks probably wouldn't match if I went back to buy more. (You'll be happy to know that I bought more than enough.)

So, I went back inside, much to the clerk's surprise, and was ready to go. I pulled out the floral print and asked for help matching the solid colors to it. I am really not gifted in that department. Usually I buy fabric that I think will work well together and then hate the final pieced project.

After I got home, I had to figure out how many of each color combination blocks I needed to make. Much to my surprise, there were only 3 different blocks, and I needed 12 of each. So, I cut my strips and began sewing. After making all of the blocks, I pieced them all together, added a small black border and the floral border.

Then I went to the store and bought some batting and binding. I wanted to use cotton batting, but the only available didn't have the loft that I was looking for, so I bought 2 prepacked battings and layered them. It worked nicely.

Due to my time crunch, I also bought some prepackaged double-folded binding. Of course, I don't know how to properly apply binding, as seen on shows like Simply Quilts. All of the classes that I have taken seem to glaze right over quilting and binding and concentrate on the quilt top. So, I cheated, and I think that for the next project, especially if I have the time, I'll try to learn how to do it the right way.

As far as the quilting, I quilted in the ditch around the borders and diamonds. I also quilted diamonds in the middle of each color band. For the borders, I made various sized diamond templates and chalked a pattern. It was hard to keep pushing the quilt through the opening of the sewing machine, but I definitely don't sew enough to invest in a larger machine. (The machine that I'm using is a Brother that belonged to Dan's late grandmother who's quilting inspired me to learn the craft.)

So, now it's complete. I hope Robin finds it warm and comfortable! Now, on to the next project!

Share Your Thoughts ( Comments Already)

Older Comments (1)

Dan & Sherree & Patrick currently uses Facebook for comments. Older comments are still here for readers, though. Read old comments »

I was searching for log cabin quilts on the internet and came across this page. I had a hard time when I first started making my own quilt binding but there were a couple of websites that were very helpful.

For making the binding:

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingfive.html

Quilterscache.com also has the mose complete set of patterns I have ever seen.

« Close old comments

Recommendations

Powered by the Patrick theme and Movable Type Advanced!