About this Site
danandsherree.com is run with Movable Type, a content management system and is hosted with HostPC. The site's design, Scrapbook, is a ground-up design of XHTML and CSS. Quite a few Movable Type plugins are used to build this site:
- Acronym: Adds a tooltip for abbreviations and acronyms you've defined.
- ArchiveYear: This plugin author's website has kind of disappeared, however you can download the plugin from Movalog and read about how to use it on Learning Movable Type: Yearly Archives.
- Better Entry Preview: A plugin I wrote to make the Entry Preview screen a bit more useful.
- Better File Uploader: A plugin I wrote to make uploading files and creating photo galleries much easier.
- Kill TrackBack Spam: I don't know where this plugin came from. It's very simple and effective, though: if the TrackBack's site and title match, it must be spam so it's thrown away. Download Kill TrackBack Spam, change the extension from
.pl, and upload to your
- MainMenuRecent: Shows the x most recent entries on the list_blogs page of the admin interface. Great for quick access.
- MT-Notifier: A recent addition to this site, this plugin allows for e-mail-based subscriptions to comments.
- MTCollate: A complex plugin that allows you to sort entries, comments, etc any way you want. Used to build the Site Map.
- OtherBlog: An older plugin that let's you combine data from multiple weblogs. It's been superceded by MultiBlog, but since I'm only using it to build the Site Map I'm in no rush to upgrade.
- PreviousNextInCategory: Just as the name says, it allows you to see the previous or next entry in that category. Essential for the Photo Galleries.
- RateIt: This plugin lets readers rate an entry; see it in action below. By default, there are no image indicators, but I solved that.
- SimpleComments: Combines TrackBacks and comments and sorts them all by date. The linked version supports MT 3.2's Junk Status capability.
- SmartyPants: Essential for typographically correct text.
- SpamLookup: Part of MT 3.3, it does an excellent job of blocking spam.
As well as plugins, there's a fair bit of PHP that makes this site work the way it does, some of which is detailed over at Eat Drink Sleep Movable Type.
On the desktop side, Adobe Photoshop is used to edit photos and build graphics. Just about everything else is done on the server with Movable Type. Occasionally, though, some other tools get used: Adobe Acrobat, Notepad++, and FileZilla, to name a few.